Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lotus Root Chicken Soup



This is my simple version of lotus root soup. Lotus root soup would be better if I cook with peanuts, dried cuttlefish or dried scallops. However, the one above here surely did not disappoint me. The red dates that included into the soup, have help to sweeten the soup. The end result was a very very light, refreshing and pleasing soup that I could not resist to stop drinking.....yummyyy..!!! :)


Please find below for my recipe :


Ingredients
  1. 2 pieces of chickens (preferred drumsticks and discard the skin)
  2. 15 red dates
  3. 450 grams of lotus root (wash and clean them of any mud and dirt, skin them. Slice not more than 5 mm thick. Soak in the water to prevent them from turning black.)
  4. 3 bowls of water (soup)
  5. 500 ml of water
  6. Salt to taste

Steps
  1. Parboil the chickens with the 500ml water. About 3-4 minutes later, remove the chicken and discard the water. This is to remove the unpleasant smell of the meat.
  2. Add in 3 bowls of water in a pot. Bring the water to boil. Upon boiling, add in chickens, red dates and lotus root.
  3. Continue to boil for about 10-15 minutes. Lower the heat and simmer for about 1-2 hours.
  4. Salt to taste before serving.

3 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite Chinese soups and I've always loved the look of sliced lotus root. I now feel nostalgic for a steaming bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried lotus root! I'll have to seek it out on my next trip to Lili's Asian market here in Phoenix~ Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Denise & Wine_cellar, thanks for the comments. You guys should have a try.It is simple yet delicious...!!

    ReplyDelete